DOUBLE STANDARD IN FORCE AT TWITTER: Mitch McConnell’s campaign locked out of Twitter for posting video of calls for violence at his home
Written by Peter Boykin on August 7, 2019
“Meanwhile, @Castro4Congress tweet, targeting his own constituents by name and employer is still up and does not violate Twitter’s Rules.”“Mitch McConnell has people on his yard threatening to “stab the motherf******” in the heart” & @twitter suspends MCCONNELL from its platform,”
“This nation needs to heal & this platform is actively removing voices from the conversation who can help find solutions. Absolute garbage.””Just stab the m—– f—– in the heart,”
“McConnell doesn’t care about people who actually do break their necks, who need insulin, who need any type of medication, because they want to stop and prevent health care for all,”
“And that is something that every American out here wants. There’s only a few Americans who don’t want that”
Twitter declined to provide an on-the-record comment. Because the video included an explicit call for violence, and took place steps away from McConnell’s residence, it apparently violated Twitter’s rules for anyone to post the video — including McConnell and his supporters. McConnell, 77, has been resting at home since tripping on his patio fracturing his shoulder on Sunday — and the Team Mitch account posted images showing him at his residence.
In the wake of this weekend’s deadly mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, the hashtag
trended on Twitter — and some activists took their case to McConnell’s residence. Saavedra added:
“By suspending McConnell’s re-election campaign for exposing the violent rhetoric directed at McConnell, which was allowed to foment on Twitter for days, Twitter is interfering in the 2020 elections in a manner to help Democrats and hurt Republicans.” “This morning, Twitter locked our account for posting the video of real-world, violent threats made against Mitch McConnell,”
McConnell campaign manager Kevin Golden said in a statement.
“This is the problem with the speech police in America today.”
On Tuesday, McConnell’s campaign accused New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of encouraging threats against the senator and
“trying to dox some underage kids”
after she blasted a group of McConnell-supporting boys who took a controversial photo with a cardboard cutout of her during a recent Kentucky political event.
The situation quickly spiraled. The Daily Beast posted a tweet claiming that McConnel’s campaign had “essentially” told Ocasio-Cortez that “boys will be boys” — prompting Ocasio-Cortez, and later Newsweek, to falsely imply that McConnell’s campaign had, in fact, used that phrase.
As of late Wednesday, the Team Mitch had not deleted the offending tweet containing the video. Twitter’s policy for accounts violating its rules on certain offending content is to require the account owners to delete offending tweets in order for their access to be restored unless the conduct is so severe it warrants an indefinite suspension.
“The Lexington-Herald can attack Mitch with cartoon tombstones of his opponents. But we can’t mock it. Twitter will allow the words ‘Massacre Mitch’ to trend nationally on their platform. But locks our account for posting actual threats against us. We appealed and Twitter stood by their decision, saying our account will remain locked until we delete the video.”
“These young men are not campaign staff, they’re high schoolers and it’s incredible that the national media has sought to once again paint a target on their backs rather than report real, and significant news in our country.”
Its most recent tweet, made late Tuesday, Team Mitch called the threats outside McConnell’s home
“serious calls to physical violence”
and said law enforcement had been notified. The episode prompted the McConnell campaign, known as
to slam Twitter for political bias, saying the social media platform had effectively blamed the victim. Meanwhile, observers noted, Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro remains active on Twitter, even after he posted the names of San Antonio residents who donated to Trump.